The power of SEO lies in the user’s search intent. Search engines assist users by providing the most relevant, useful information available based on this intent. This means that the more useful and valuable user experience you create, the more chances that search engines will rank your pages higher. By prioritizing good SEO habits, you can continually work towards higher search rankings. Here’s an overview of our top SEO tips for ranking SERP results:
Website, On Page SEO Tips:
1. Relevant keywords: Using a keyword tool like SEMrush (our preferred tool) help determine which words will help attract the most visitors based on popular search terms. Pick the most relevant, popular keywords for your business and try to rank for different keywords on your web page.
2. Link-bait title tags: Title tags are catchy descriptions that grab your audiences attention, enough to make them click through to your website. Keep these descriptions short to help users and web crawlers determine that your page is relevant for this search. For an optimal display on SERPs, limit it to 55 characters.
3. Keywords in the beginning of page title tags: Google rates title tags that have keywords at the beginning as more relevant and therefore they are more likely to rank higher.
4. Keyword focused meta descriptions: Meta descriptions are shown under the title tag on SERPs, giving users a more in depth description of the page they are interested in going to, to ensure that it is what they are looking for. Meta-descriptions are limited to 160 characters, so aim to keep within the 150-160 range.
5. Proper sitemap: When a websites structure is up-to-date and easy to navigate, the easier search engine crawlers can find and index pages, which means ranking higher and being found online. Remember the three-click rule—customers should find what they need on your site in three clicks, or less, otherwise they will go to another site.
6. SEO-friendly URLs: URLs should match the page topic because crawlers take this into account to determine the relevancy of the page. Creating short URLs with your keywords in it, using “-” instead of “_” between words as well as spelled out numbers, will help users and crawlers read URLs faster. Also, try to use sub-directory root domains instead of sub-domains.
7. Link internally with anchor text: Linking internally to your other web pages adds keyword-rich internal links to every page. Internal linking helps search engines crawl and index your site, provides readers with more reading options and improves ranking for some of your keywords.
8. Outbound links: Referencing and linking to reputable (authoritative) sources shows you are a helpful internet information steward that is willing to share pagerank. On the internet, helpful sharing is caring.
9. Website’s loading speed: Search engines do not like slow pages as they know that users will not wait long for a website to load. Strive for lickity-split load times.
10. Really helpful content: Create relevant content on your pages that is easy to read, unique, helpful, fresh and grammatically flawless. Your content should be so helpful and relevant that your target audience will want to stay on your page and others will want to link to it.
Off page SEO practices:
1. Search engine submission: It can take a while for search engines to find and crawl your site. You can help to speed up the process by submitting your website to popular search engines.
2. Local directory submission: Submitting your business listing information to top or niche directories creates more places where users can find you and crawlers can confirm your business information. Be sure to submit NAP (name, address, phone number). And, if possible, website and category. A high percentage of searches are by keyword rather than business name, so strive to use category information wherever possible.
3. Social media marketing: Be present on all relevant social channels and manage your online reputation. Strive to get likes, shares and links by being 80% helpful and 20% promotional.
4. Video marketing: Help users find out about your business by sharing your relevant and helpful videos on sites such as Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
5. Backlink outreach: Earn backlinks by conducting content PR to get others to read your pages and possibly link to you. The more quality backlinks your web page has, the more authority it has, and the more search engines will deem the page as relevant and useful.
6. Forums and communities: Answering questions in forums and communities can help to build your reputation as an industry expert. This can provide a possible opportunity to include your website or blog link if it is relevant to the answer.